Expedia CruiseShipCenters
Bookmark and Share
USA & Canada: 


International: IDD code + 800-742-17421
Passport and Visa Requirements

Need a visa application form?  Not sure if you need a passport for your destination?  We've put all the information you need at your fingertips!

Canadian Entry Requirements
Travellers Arriving from the U.S.
Travellers Arriving from Other Countries
Travellers With Children
U.S. Passport Application
Customs & Duty

U.S. Entry Requirements
Travellers Arriving in the U.S.

Travellers Arriving from the U.S.

Important Requirements for Travellers from the United States:
Everyone travelling between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by LAND, SEA (including cruises and ferries), or AIR is now required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security to cross the border.

If you are planning on visiting Vancouver, you will need a valid passport.  For information on obtaining a passport, visit, or call the U.S. National Passport Information Center at 1-877-4USA-PPT.

Back to Top of Page

Travellers Arriving from Other Countries

People arriving from Europe do not need a visa to enter Canada, but do need a valid passport.

If you are arriving from another country, you may need a visa to legally enter Canada.  Check online at to see your particular requirements.

Back to Top of Page

Travellers With Children

Parents should have proper identification for each child similar to the requirements of adults (i.e passport or birth certificate).  Additionally, parents acting as chaperones for other children should carry a letter of permission from each child's parents.

Divorced parents with shared custody should carry all pertinent legal documents that establish their status.  Children travelling alone should have a letter of permission from their parents.

Back to Top of Page

U.S. Passport Application

For more information on passport application, please visit

  • How to Apply for a Passport Renewal
  • How to Apply for a Passport – First time applicants

    Back to Top of Page

    Customs & Duty

    Visitors are allowed to bring certain goods as part of their "personal baggage", but some products are limited and, in some cases, prohibited by Canada Customs.

    Products that are banned include obscene materials, hate propaganda, most weapons and firearms, and goods harmful to the environment.

    Importing Items
    The following is a list of items you are allowed to bring into Canada tax-free if you are over 19:
    • 200gm tobacco, OR
    • 200 cigarettes, OR
    • 20 cigars, OR
    • 200 tobacco sticks per person;
    • 1.5 litres of wine OR
    • 1.14 litres of liquor per person, gifts for relatives and friends, tax-free as long as each gift is valued at CAD $ 60.00 or less.
    Canadian custom brokers or a Canadian Customs office can provide information on transportation companies that offer efficient, cross-border delivery of materials for time-sensitive meetings or exhibits.

    Returning Home
    The following is a guideline for visitors returning home from Canada and may change at any time.  Contact your local embassy or consulate, before returning home, if you are unsure of an item you are bringing back home.

    USA Residents: Every 30 days, returning U.S. Citizens are allowed to bring back duty free $400 worth of retail merchandise, provided they have been outside the U.S. for 48 hours.  If the length of stay is less than 48 hours, $200 worth of merchandise may be taken back to the USA.

    UK Residents: Citizens of the U.K. returning from a non-EU country have a customs allowance of 200 cigarettes, OR 50 cigars, OR 250g of smoking tobacco; 2 liters of still table wine; 1 liter of spirits or strong liqueur (over 22% volume); 2 liters of fortified wine, sparkling wine, OR other liqueurs; 60cc (ml) perfume; 250cc (ml) of cologne; AND 145 worth of all other goods, including gifts and souvenirs.  People under 17 cannot have the tobacco or alcohol allowance.

    EU Residents: Each passenger over 17 years of age from a non-EU country is entitled to import the following articles duty-free; in 200 cigarettes, OR 50 cigars, OR 250g of tobacco (or a mixture of all three if their combined weight doesn't exceed 250g); 2l of wine, and 1 l of spirits with an alcoholic content exceeding 22% vol, OR 2 l of spirits/aperitifs with an alcoholic content less than 22% vol, OR 2 l champagne/sparkling wine/liqueur wine; 50 g of perfume; 0.25 l cologne; gifts of a value not exceeding approximately ECU 175.  Limits cannot be added for passengers travelling together.

    Australian Residents: The duty-free allowance in Australia is A$400 OR, for those under 18, A$200.  Personal property mailed back from abroad should be marked Australian goods returned to avoid payment of duty.  Upon returning to Australia, citizens can bring in 250 cigarettes OR 250g of loose tobacco; and 1.125ml of alcohol.  If you're returning with previously owned valuable goods, such as foreign-made cameras, file form B263.

    New Zealand Residents: The duty-free allowance for New Zealand is NZ$700.  Citizens over 17 can bring in 200 cigarettes, or 50 cigars, OR 250g of tobacco (OR a mixture of all three if their combined weight doesn't exceed 250g); plus 4.5 liters of wine and beer, OR 1.125 liters of liquor.  New Zealand currency does not carry import or export restrictions.  Fill out a certificate of export, listing the valuables you are taking out of the country; that way, you can bring them back without paying duty.

    Visitors to Canada from countries not listed here should check before they leave what their limits are for duty-free.

    Back to Top of Page

    If you have any further questions please call us Toll-Free (U.S.A. & Canada) at 1-800-663-1389.
    Email us at